ones and zeroes

Better living through modern chemistry.

12.24.2004

it's the most bittersweet time of the year

Bittersweet Bittersweet Bittersweet. That is just THE word for this holiday weekend. Equal parts bitter and sweet. Neither one overpowering the other (though for the purposes of optimism, we should give it to sweet). First, the bitter.

bit·ter - adj. -
  1. Having or being a taste that is sharp, acrid, and unpleasant.
  2. Causing a sharply unpleasant, painful, or stinging sensation; harsh: enveloped in bitter cold; a bitter wind.
  3. Difficult or distasteful to accept, admit, or bear: the bitter truth; bitter sorrow.
For a couple of days it looked really hopeful, that I would be headed to Pittsburgh so the two of us wouldn't have to do the absurd thing - spend a christmas weekend alone in cities that aren't too ridiculously far apart. But sleepless nights took a toll on me and I fell asleep Wednesday at 10:30 to wake up at 10 and find a message from Larry saying certain feats could be accomplished on his side of things. By the time I got in touch with Jay, he and Trevor were walking down the street to the car, and I was far away in Bedford. Sigh.

sweet - adj. - 1. Fucking awesome.

I've lucked out throughout the long, arduous, Jewish years of coming and going December 25ths, and found myself with a lot of friends close enough to be willing to take me in under their roofs and let me peer curiously at this strange ritual, this...Christmas. And usually, they've given me presents too. First it was Brendan, then it was Andrew, then I came to college and met Eileen and I got to spend an awesome Christmas at her house, getting great pants, great food, and all of it leading up to the single most insane December 26th in the history of December 26ths. And now this year and last year I've spent the couple days before Christmas with the Beaches. Who are too ridiculously good to me. Last year, I got a stellar set of jacks and a vintage Ghostbusters Ecto-1 toy complete with Ghostbusters figurines. AND a Superman safe. How awesome. This year though, they took it to the next level, and I just have to say thank you to them for being so dang fucking nice and letting a boy flex his musical muscles again for the first time in years.




Which is only the tip of the iceberg when you consider the iPod. Jeezum. I'm going to go plug that keyboard in right now, spend a moment with Major Tom, and tickle some ivories. Plastics. Whatever.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    if u stop into 418 east 9th, be sure to check out the fridge, right next to the butter, theres a little gift waiting for u - but leave some for me sunday night when i get home from seeing the bronx zoo decked out in chrismtas lights with mi familia loca.

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger larry said…

    Music making box, music listening box. Youve gotta admire the symetry of the situation.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home